- On an exchange, the member firm that is designated as the market maker ( or dealer for a listed common stock). Member of a stock exchange who maintains a "fair and orderly market" in one or more securities. Only one specialist can be designated for a given stock, but dealers may be specialists for several stocks. In contrast, there can be multiple market makers in the OTC market . Major functions include executing ( execute) limit orders on behalf of other exchange members for a portion of the floor broker's commission, and buying or selling for the specialist's own account to counteract temporary imbalances in supply and demand and thus prevent wide swings in stock prices . Bloomberg Financial Dictionary————A member of a US stock exchange who holds an exclusive franchise to trade in one or more securities on the exchange floor. The specialist in return is obliged to maintain a fair and orderly market in the stocks in which he or she is registered. Exchange Handbook Glossary
* * *specialist spe‧cial‧ist [ˈspeʆlst] noun [countable]1. COMMERCE a person or business that has a lot of skill or knowledge in a particular subject, and often gives advice to others:specialist in
• He's a specialist in the insurance industry.
• Many technical specialists are employed in commerce and the service sector.2. FINANCE a dealer on a stockmarket who buys and sells shares in a small list of companies for investors— specialist adjective [only before a noun] :
• The advantage of employing a specialist firm is that its tradesmen are more likely to be well trained and experienced.
* * *Market makers in one or more selected securities listed on an exchange. Found at a trading post on the floor, they earn their income from commission when acting as a broker, or from the spread in their quoted prices when acting as a dealer.
* * *Ⅰ.specialist UK US /ˈspeʃəlɪst/ noun [C]► someone who has a lot of experience, knowledge, or skill in a particular subject or business area: specialist in sth »
She is a specialist in financial services and insurance.► FINANCE, STOCK MARKET someone who works on a US stock market and buys and sells shares in particular types of companies: »
Specialists on regional exchanges sometimes have lower dealing costs than those in New York.Ⅱ.specialist UK US /ˈspeʃəlɪst/ adjective [before noun]► having a lot of experience, knowledge, or skill in a particular subject or business area: »
The bank can give you specialist advice.»
It is always good to consult a specialist financial adviser.»
Five specialist firms are under investigation for allegedly interfering in the buying and selling of shares by investors.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Specialist — frequently refers to an expert in a profession. It can also mean:*Specialist (rank), a military rank *Specialist degree, in academia * Specialist , a song by the band Interpol * The Specialist , the English translation of Lo Sconosciuto , an… … Wikipedia
Specialist — Abzeichen Specialist (SPC) ist der höchste militärische Mannschaftsdienstgrad in der US Army. Er entspricht in der Bezahlung dem Rang des Corporal. Ihn kennzeichnen jedoch spezielle Qualifikationen oder technische Fähigkeiten, die außerhalb des… … Deutsch Wikipedia
specialist — SPECIALÍST, Ă, specialişti, ste, s.m. şi f. Persoană care cunoaşte temeinic o disciplină sau o problemă. [pr.: ci a ] – fr. spécialiste. Trimis de pan111, 13.09.2007. Sursa: DLRM SPECIALÍST adj. (înv.) special. (Medic specialist.) Trimis de… … Dicționar Român
Specialist — Spe cial*ist, n. One who devotes himself to some specialty; as, a medical specialist, one who devotes himself to diseases of particular parts of the body, as the eye, the ear, the nerves, etc. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
specialist — [spesh′əlist] n. 1. a person who specializes in a particular field of study, professional work, etc. ☆ 2. U.S. Army any of six grades for enlisted personnel with technical training and duties, corresponding to the grades of corporal through… … English World dictionary
specialist — I noun authority, connoisseur, consultant, degreeholder, devotee, experienced person, expert, homo peritus, knowing person, learned person, master, practiced hand, practitioner, professional, professor, proficient, proficient person, qualified… … Law dictionary
specialist — (n.) 1856 (originally in the medical sense); see SPECIAL (Cf. special) + IST (Cf. ist) … Etymology dictionary
specialist — [n] person who is an expert in a field ace, adept, authority, connoisseur, consultant, devotee, doctor, guru*, old hand*, old pro*, pro*, professional, pundit, sage, savant, scholar, technician, veteran, virtuoso; concepts 347,357 Ant. general… … New thesaurus
specialist — ► NOUN ▪ a person who is highly skilled or knowledgeable in a particular field. ► ADJECTIVE ▪ relating to or involving detailed knowledge or a specific focus within a field. DERIVATIVES specialism noun … English terms dictionary
Specialist — On an exchange, the member firm that is designated as the market maker (or dealer for a listed common stock). Only one specialist can be designated for a given stock, but dealers may be specialists for several stocks. In contrast, there can be… … Financial and business terms